A troubled Rajan was going up and down the corridor of his office. He looked tensed with cold sweat flowing down his brow. Well, it is time of the year when employees are appraised by their employers. This anxiety is common, among most of the working class going through during their appraisals.
Rajan, knowing the outcome, was relaxed. He managed an above average increment. On his way home he saw the congested road, polluted air, slight mayhem in local travel. It got him to think. He like many Indians in democracy want to ask the same question. Where is the appraisals of MPs and MLAs? What are their KRAs (key result area)?
We in this discussion, shall try and lay down what the Member of Parliaments and that of legislative assemblies need to be measured against. Lets explore KRAs of democracy.
– Revenue: All MPs need to have target to increase revenue for their area associated with their seat. This like any CEO, needs to have a forward looking and realistic number. Look up the average revenue per seat of India, covered in our earlier discussion on this subject.
– Infrastructure Development: Critical in Indian context, every seat needs to show positive development on infra to provide basic needs and infra development for future needs.
– Health Care: Here development needs to get quantified on increase in number of beds, availability of speciality treatments and emergency treatment facility.
– Education: To track increase in quality teachers, institutions built for basic and higher education and employable students generated out of this process.
– Environment Protection: This is a critical aspect which needs to be taken care while we develop the region. The KRA here should be number of green zones created, forest cover restored and protected.
Apart for above five, we also believe that one needs to have mechanism to track fairness of Administration. This can be measured by tracking reduction in crime rate, redtapism and corruption cases being filed in the courts, year on year to get to a score.
Rajan was pretty happy to understand the KRAs of democracy and that of his elected representatives. But this was short lived as he wanted to understand how does he, a common man, enforce this?
Ideas are Welcome.
By ‘dod’ Rangers